Wednesday 17 April 2013

RQ: On not having a car


I recently had the following question from one of my readers: 

Do you enjoy not having a car beside the money you save?  (You can read about my decision to go car-less here.) 

The simple answer, YES!  For a number of reasons. 

1. I like taking the bus to work every morning, it gives me a chance to sit and read.  Sure I could shave 30-40 min off of my commute every day if I bought a car, however I’d spend that extra 30-40 min a day reading so might as well pay less for that small luxury and bus it. 

2. Whenever I start thinking about my chosen modes of transportation I get a warm and fuzzy feeling.  It’s nice to know that I’m doing my own little part for the planet and not burning fossil fuels.  This way I can hopefully make sure that my grandchildren have air that is as clean, or cleaner than, mine. 

3. It’s good exercise.  I walk every week to the grocery store.  It forces me to get out into the fresh air and get some exercise.  Again, it does take longer to get the chore done every week but I have learned to enjoy it.  Most of the time I’ll take it as an opportunity to enjoy the scenery and the solitude of my own thoughts.  Other times I’ll download a free lecture from iTunes U and give both my brain and my muscles a workout. 

4. It’s stylish.  When you arrive at the grocery store dragging a wagon, which matches your jacket (it was accidental, I swear) you’re sure to be noticed.  In fact I’ve had a lady comment on how “cute” it was and wished that she had thought of it first. 

5. I don’t have to take time out of my workweek to get oil changed, tires switched, and breakdown’s fixed. 

First I went car-less for the savings.  Now I’m staying car-less because I love the lifestyle that comes with out having a car.  Give it a try, I dare you!

Got a question?  I’d love to hear it!

No comments:

Post a Comment